Friday, October 10, 2014

Think twice before you speak

*Note: I will be using fake names to conceal identity 

Tuesday morning while I was on the way to school, I received a phone call from my friend Bella who was in my math class. She had told me because of a power outage, there was a possibility that class would be canceled if the power didn't turn back on. I was extremely annoyed when she told me this because 1) I was already driving late to school and 2) I only had one class that day and would've woke up and got dressed for nothing. 

While on the phone I heard a voice in the background and cringed as I recognized it to be Ramona. Ramona is Bella's close friend and is known for saying things that should not be said out loud. When I met her in high school I didn't necessarily hate her, but some of the things she said bothered me a lot. Basically, she doesn't have a filter. I was so glad to graduate and never see her again but later found out she was attending PCC as well. Not only that but she ended up being in the same math class as me. 

When I arrived at the school, Bella called me again and said class was canceled. I groaned in frustration and asked if she could take me home because my aunt had dropped me off. She said yes and to meet her by the library. Unfortunately when I met up with her Ramona was there, too. 

As we were walking to Bella's car, I told her how my calculator had broke and that I needed to purchase a new one. Ramona laughed and said, "Why would you need one anyway? You're Asian." 

If you are not familiar with my personality, I am a blunt person and would've totally called her out on that comment. However, it was early in the morning and I didn't have enough energy to do so. So instead, I rolled my eyes and said "ha-ha" with no enthusiasm. Now I was tired and irritated. 

While on the car ride home, I decided to call my dad and let him know I was on the way back to the house. My parents do not know much English so I always speak Vietnamese around them and around our family members. But because there are some words that I can't exactly translate to Viet, I just say it in English. 

When I finished my phone call, Ramona asked me why I said a word in English. I asked her what she meant and she replied back saying, "Oh, well why couldn't you just say it in Vietnamese?" I began to get even more irritated now because not only was she eavesdropping during my conversation, but she also had the audacity to question my native tongue. I didn't know what to say because her question was simply too stupid to respond back. She then continued, "Vietnamese is such an ugly language. No one speaks it anyway. Like who wants to learn it? No one."

By now, I was furious. How dare she make a joke about my race, question my language, and now insult it? Not only was she Caucasian, but she only knew one language. She had no right to do such a thing. Had she not heard of the country Vietnam? Seattle? San Jose? Westminster? Southeast Portland? Those are just some populated places with many Vietnamese speakers. Her comments were so ignorant and I just wanted to yell at her right there inside the car. But instead, I said nothing and used my phone as a distraction. The car ride was silent and when Bella dropped me off I didn't say goodbye and went straight inside my house.

The reason why I didn't yell at Ramona was because of Bella. I thought it would be extremely awkward of me to just yell at her friend in the car. There was already tension and I didn't want things to heat up even more. Another reason is because I knew Ramona wasn't trying to be offensive. I know for a fact she thinks we're friends so she says those things thinking I'm okay with it. Ironically, I do not see her as a friend and I am not okay with her comments. She doesn't take other people's feelings with considerate and just blurts out things.

Moral of the story: think twice before you speak. Your words could hurt someone else. 

*Note: Bella later texted me that day apologizing for Ramona's words and said how her actions were un-excusable. I am thankful for her words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment