Saturday, October 25, 2014

"We're a culture, not a costume."

It's that time of the year where cute little girls are dressed as their favorite princess and little munchkin boys are dressed as their favorite Power Ranger because of one reason: free candy.

Halloween has been a tradition that has been going on for many years. It’s a day where kids dress up in costumes and go from house to house saying “Trick-Or-Treat” and get a piece of candy in return. Nowadays, teenagers either stay home to hand out candy to the little ones or hang out with their friends on All Hallows Eve. However, there are still some that go all out in costumes and still go trick-or-treating. You're never too old; dress up all you want! 

But the question is: is your costume culturally appropriate?

Earlier this Saturday morning I was out costume shopping with my former boyfriend's younger sister Cassie. A while ago I had promised her that I'd help her find, and I quote, "the perfect costume" and I intended to keep that promise. 

As soon as we walked into the Spirit Halloween store, she let go of my hand that she was holding and started running all over the place. It made me smile and appreciate the innocent youth. But my smile quickly vanished when I saw a costume that made me cringe.

It was a geisha costume.


Now, if you are not familiar with the word "geisha", geishas are traditional Japanese female entertainers who act as hostesses and whose skills include performing various Japanese arts such as classical music, dance, games and conversation (this is according to Wikipedia). 

Geishas are very significant in Japanese culture and seeing their kimono be sort of costume to wear on Halloween had the blood in my body heat up. 

"Korean Pop Star Child" costume sold by
Spirit Halloween for $29.99 :-)
As I stared at the geisha outfit with hatred for who knows how long, I felt a sharp tug on my arm. I turned and saw Cassie with a somewhat disappointed look on her face. I asked her what was wrong but she said nothing and continued to pull on my limb. I reluctantly let her pull me into an aisle and my eyes widened as she pointed to a costume that was labeled "Korean Pop Star Child". It had a sky blue a jacket, a bow tie, and sunglasses. I realized this outfit was probably a mock of the famous Korean pop star PSY (*cough* "Gangnam Style"). 

"Is this supposed to be funny? Because it is not," she had said angrily. "Please take me home."

These words being spoken by a nine-year-old child. 

"What about 'the perfect costume'?" I asked.

"I'll just wear a dress and find a tiara somewhere and be a princess instead," she responded, already walking out the door. I followed suit.

While I was driving her home, I constantly kept looking at the rearview mirror. She had a very upset facial expression and did not say anything during the car ride. Her being upset had made me upset as well. 

When I walked her to her doorstep, I rang the doorbell and stood on the porch patiently waiting for someone to let her in before I left. Within seconds, her older brother opened the front door and he and I were both surprised when she shouted "Oppa!" and embraced him.

If you haven't put the pieces together yet, Cassie is Korean and her negative reaction to the "Korean pop star" costume was understandable. Even though it wasn't as bad as the geisha costume, still .. the fact that it was so specific by saying "Korean" .. it was basically mocking a famous celebrity in her culture. 

"What happened?" her brother asked me with a raised eyebrow, little Cassie still clinging onto him. 

I opened my mouth to respond but was interrupted by her saying, "I'll tell you later, oppa." 

We said our goodbyes and as I drove back home I couldn't help but feel bad for her. Poor Cassie just wanted to buy a costume to go trick-or-treating in... 

I didn't know what made me more upset: the racist outfits or the fact that a little girl noticed the racism .. 

You might be thinking, "Linh, those costumes are just jokes. Why are you so heat up?" 

I will ask you a question: "Do you belong to that group of people?"

If your response is no, you can't just borrow someone's race or culture as a Halloween costume. Those people have to live every single day facing racial stereotypes. You on the other hand are just wearing a costume and can take it off by the end of the day and never worry about it again.  

So when you're out buying a"Shanghai Hottie", "Sexy Tribe Girl", or "Mexican Poncho" costume, think twice and ask yourself: is your costume racist? 


2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post. I grew up a Catholic and was taught by nuns. Over the years I've seen numerous women who thought the costume of "pregnant nun" was hilarious -- it always made me angry at their insensitivity. I hope you have thousands of readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me very angry as well. It's sad that there are even costumes like that out there; even sadder that people wear them and think that they are okay.

    ReplyDelete